Built between 1902 and 1906 in the neo-Romanesque style, the building was the seat of the former Prussian government for the Koblenz administrative district of the Rhine Province and the main tax office
Emperor Wilhelm II made changes to the plan of the towers and roofs himself in order to tie in with the Staufer period. The result was a 158-metre-long complex built in the Wilhelminian neo-Romanesque style around two inner courtyards with side wings, which still decisively shapes the image of the Rhine front today.
The four-storey main front on the bank with its massive, gable-crowned central pavilion looks like a fort due to the large corner towers and the tuff stone cladding of the façades. Inside are monumental staircases with vaulted halls and outstanding stonework.
Today, the former Prussian government building houses the Presidium of the Federal Office of Military Equipment, Information Technology and In-Service Support (BAAINBw). The southern part has housed the Koblenz Higher Regional Court since 1993.