info
Closure of Promenadenweg
Permanent closure of the towpath and promenade path along the Rhine below the Pfaffendorf bridge from Weindorf to the castle steps
Learn more
arrow-forward
close
info
Die Ufer-Bar ist zurück!
Vom 12.07. bis 06.10.2024 laden vier Koblenzer Gastronomiebetriebe und eine Sektkellerei zu sommerlichen und frühherbstlichen Abenden an die Schlossstufen.
Learn more
arrow-forward
close
Luftaufnahme von dem Koblenzer Stadtteil Ehrenbreitstein mit der Festung, dem deutschen Eck und dem Zusammenfluss von Rhein und Mosel  ©Dominik Ketz | Rheinland-Pfalz Tourismus GmbH

The fortress city of Koblenz

A city that knows how to defend itself.

The Large Fortress of Koblenz, officially "Fortress Koblenz and Ehrenbreitstein", is a system of Prussian fortifications built between 1815 and 1834 to secure the then strategically important confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers. 

The Fortress System

The fortification system consists of the city fortifications of Koblenz and Ehrenbreitstein as well as the fortifications in front of them in the form of forts, flèches and redoubts, some of which have been preserved or have almost completely disappeared over the course of time due to erosion and later demolition (e.g. Fort Kaiser Alexander). Lines of sight between the individual buildings, which were located on the ridges and in the lower-lying plains around the city, facilitated mutual protection.

The fortification system is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Upper Middle Rhine Valley and is included in the UNESCO programme of support for World Heritage Sites. It is also on the list of monuments of national importance.

Koblenz

Ehrenbreitstein Fortress Cultural Centre

118 metres above the Rhine, from the fortress you have probably the most fantastic view of Koblenz and the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle. Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, the second largest preserved fortress in Europe, was built in its present form...
Learn more

Festung von E-Stein aus gesehen

Öffnungszeiten
N/A

Koblenz-Asterstein

Fort Astertstein & Fortress Park

Started in 1817, the complex was largely completed around 1828 and, like the other parts of the fortress, was also used as barracks for the Prussian soldiers.
Learn more

Fort Asterstein mit Festung im Hintergrund

Öffnungszeiten
N/A

Fort Constantine
The Grand Duke Constantine Fort was built from 1822 to 1827 on the northern steep slope of the Karthäuserberg. The largely preserved fort stands on the site of a medieval monastery. The foundations and crypt are still recognizable. At the foot of the steep slope is the so-called Kehlturm.
Find out more about Fort Konstantin
Fort Konstantin bei blauem Himmel ©Koblenz-Touristik GmbH
Emperor Franz celebrations
The Kaiser Franz fortress was completed in 1822 and was used to defend the left bank of the Moselle. Today, the main gate, reduit and parts of the underground corridor system have been preserved. The spacious and newly created fortress park offers an impressive view and can be visited daily.
Find out more about the Feste Kaiser Franz
Luftaufnahme der Feste Kaiser Franz mit Bahngleise und Güterzüge im Hintergrund ©Koblenz-Touristik GmbH, Rainer Arenz
Neuendorfer Flesche
The Neuendorfer Flesche was built between 1820 and 1825 as part of the Feste Kaiser Franz fortification system. Today, the outer trench wall, the underground mine passages leading off it and the "trench cut" reconstructed in 1995 are still preserved.
Find out more about the Neuendorfer Flesche
Graben mit einer gemauerten Wand mit kleinen Spalten ©Thomas Dillenburg

The Franz, Asterstein and Konstantin fortifications are part of the "National Urban Development Projects 2015" funding measure between 2015 and 2019, which aims to enhance and redevelop historical fragments of the fortress.

The Visit-Koblenz Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter now and stay informed about new experiences!